Friday, May 9, 2008

Almost over

This semester has gone by way too fast. I can't believe that I'm going into my last week of reporting. Like Matt, I am facing a very long week at the capitol, but I'm really exciting to see what comes out of the legislature. I've learned so much about reporting and state government and now I see everything through a new lens. I have definitely had to leave my comfort zone by being on the state government beat. Politics are very tricky. You really have to learn how to read between the lines, and dig through all the crap to get to the story.
I really appreciate having the opportunity to be in a class with reporters of such caliber. The conversations that were had in the classroom were always intriguing and really made me think outside of the box. Everyone brought something to the table and I learned from all of you. I can't wait to see where we all will end up.
The shells project was a great opportunity for me. I got to work with reporters from different backgrounds and experiences. Paul has been amazing at organizing and he has helped me out a lot through the process (Thanks). I am glad that I had the opportunity to take part in such an innovative project. I definitely had to learn a lot about Columbia, shells, and online layout. There are so many things that you have to consider when creating a shell, and I'm glad we got to explore some of the options.
For next time, I would have like to be more specific. We started off with such a huge idea, and so little time. We bit off more than we could chew, but in the end we were able to get it together. Also meet more than once a week. With everything else going on in the newsroom, it's hard to stay on task when we don't get to meet often.
I don't know if it was all worth it. I enjoyed the experience, but I would like to see what it is like once it is published. To me, it is only worth it if it is useful to the people. If it's not, then maybe we should try something else.
Thanks everyone! It's been amazing

No comments: