Friday, May 9, 2008

Invisible Fruition (i.e. we did our part, but to what ends)

After class on Wednesday I went home and slept for three hours. I wasn’t sure if it was the exhaustion I had from staying up until 2 a.m., because of the city council meeting on Monday or if it was from staying up a little later on Tuesday to finish a final paper, but I feel like the news about the shells project was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I was pretty shocked when I heared the news and I still have mixed feelings about the whole project. In many ways it helped me to reinforce some management skills I learned in London and I was really excited when I felt like things were actually going to be finished at the end of the semester. But to be quite honest after Wednesday I felt like I could have written three or four more articles, had another beer with a friend as this is my last semester, and could have taken more time to simply get a workout in or a few more hours of sleep. In my state of shock and exhaustion I simply had to sleep.
I also would like to say that I don't feel angry, I simply feel disappointed and shocked. I usually don't like getting angry because it isn't very productive, just dissapointed.


Finally, what about the whole idea of the shells project?

In terms of the whole idea about the shells project I think it is an awesome idea and in the future. I think it would be an awesome opportunity to possibly get a couple Missourian print reporting and design students, one or two Broadcast students, some convergence students, and a couple photo-j majors to colaborate on a shells project.


Was it worthwhile?

The shells project was worth it, despite my current dissapointment and frustration. I would like to have something to show an employeer or graduate school to show that I did project manage something that reached frution.
I would say that it was worthwhile as a learning experience and a practice in humility, as I often forget that I can’t control everything.

What, if anything, did you learn?

I learned that if this is the direction that news is going it is going to be a tough jugling act to move journalist in this direction.
I learned that not all projects that I work on in my lifetime will reach fruition, and sometimes for reasons out of my control.
I learned that not everyone on a team is motivated to get the work done, but I also should work on my delegating skills and trusting others.



Would you do it again?

I would do it again, but with stipulations. That is all I will say on that matter.

What would you change?

I would have divided people up into teams based on their knowledge and motivation before the project started. I think this would have been beneficial, because we could ensure that there would be smaller groups, and the individuals in those groups would be deciding on a topic/focus that was truly of their own interest.


What would you keep?

Exactly what I am taking away…enthusiasm, team work, and humility.

No comments: