Sunday, January 27, 2008

Let there be blogs

Hmm, blogs. This is my first one ever, and I'll probably celebrate afterward with a flute of champagne and a Quizno's sub. 

This semester I'm taking Advanced Writing and Advanced Reporting and hope to be able to converge some ideas for longer stories. Signing up late for A.R., I didn't really have a choice for my beat, but I'm on higher ed. now and look forward to it. 

Word has it that I should become an expert on one topic or interest, but I don't see it that way. I think my expertise should be in writing and reporting, immersion, story structure, creative narrative and economical management of time. 

I look forward to an intense semester of writing, and hope to address a variety of subjects. I'm starting with something small — a story about the tanning beds at the Mizzou Rec Complex. Artificial tanning (or "sunning" as the rec center publication calls it) seems antithetical to the healthy-lifestyle message the rec center promotes. 

I'm trying to nail down exact numbers, but the spa technician has been slow to pull them up and says it will take awhile. I'll just annoy him until I get the stats. 

No comments: