Thursday, January 24, 2008

Paul David Lampe's first week update

I would like to start with a sigh of relief that the first week is near an end. Since I have been out of the newsroom since last spring I wanted to dive in head first this week. I must say that I personally feel this has been a very productive week. I have published one brief, two articles, a video post, and I am working on another article for VOX.

The work this week has been great. As a Convergence Student I personally don’t feel that I knew all of the Missourian editors well enough, but I am very happy that Scott is my editor. He has been a great editor in this first week and I really have enjoyed covering city council renovations.

Working in print is slightly different for me even as I have produced print pieces before, in many ways I use to avoid print work as much as possible and focus more on my multimedia and video skills. As I produced a video piece this week it was interesting to me that I felt much more comfortable writing the articles than editing the video. I may feel this way, because I haven’t worked on a video piece since winter of 2006/2007. I am hoping that by the end of the semester I can feel comfortable working in both platforms and creating relevant and essential content by deadline.

I also feel very invigorated by this first week as we have heard Governor Blunt’s announcement and Sarah Steelman’s announcement (although we may expect to hear something different from her in the future).

Even as I sigh with relief that the weekend is approaching and I will take a break on Sunday, I also recognize this is just the beginning. I know this semester is going to be great and I know each week I will learn something valuable.

No comments: