Sunday, January 27, 2008

Rebekah's take on Week One

This week at the Missourian was my first as a print reporter, and although I have not written a story yet, I am researching for my first one, which will be an update on the visioning process that the city is doing.

Also, when I had my meeting with Scott Swafford this week, we definitely talked about the potential of adding multimedia, especially interactive graphics, to the stories coming out of the public life beat. Hooray! The more multimedia, the better, I say. And this semester the convergence department has more students available to work on projects than ever before.

I think that my biggest impressions came from the breaking news this week – there was a lot of it! Both the stories of Governor Blunt deciding not to run again and the story about the St. Francis House required multiple online updates throughout the day. Compared to the past few semesters that I have paid attention to things at the Missourian, the capacity to update a story online like a professional newspaper would has grown exponentially. I also really appreciated how everyone sat down and talked about it in budget. I feel like in a normal newsroom, that is something that would be done in a small committee and the reporters would have no real input.

No comments: