Monday, March 17, 2008

Not reporting per se, but journalism at the Missourian

Let me start off this late post on the blog by talking about our meetings with Joe from Bright Tree last week.
I will say first it was good to kind of here from him Wednesday because it gave me, at least, a better understanding of where we need to be. Friday's meeting, however was better because meeting with each group gave us a better chance to lay everything out in front of him.
That said we speak two different languages and I think this may cause issues because neither of us know what the other is saying. I have to believe this will develop as we move (quickly) forward, as I have to imagine this happens a lot with new clients. But it is a bit disconcerting that we are this late in the game and still having communication issues.

So, on to my greater issue for the week. My lateness has granted me some leeway in topic, as I had greater look into the explosion and my role.
No, I wasn't one of the reporters digging through singed mail on the Sneed's front lawn, which, may I say, I found particularly wrong. Not as a journalist but as a reader, when I heard about this from one of the people, I was disgusted by the thought of digging through these citizens charred garbage.
But that's an aside, my role in all this was my other job at the Missourian. I am a sports' desk TA, and I specialize in the Friday Night Live featured Web site.
For those that don't know, this semester at the Missourian we are beginning a new Friday night presence online that will get sports news to people that care on a night that we were usually dark.
I was running around Friday trying to get photos of the baseball game for our centerpiece. The centerpiece changed as the news did. As the news side was prepping newsletters I was rebuilding news bursts and redirecting sports fans to another site.
The traffic of the sports stories was obviously down, there were more important stories going on. As an example, the baseball story, written by our very own Sam Miles, that would have been centerpieced was the top sports story on the night with about 200 hits over the weekend. The coverage of the Rock Bridge girls' basketball team last Friday night received closer to 300 hundred last weekend, and a brief about a Mizzou basketball recruit got close to 400 hits over the weekend.
All that said, we did post 11 new stories on the site Friday night setting a new record for us, our average even on Stefhon Hannah arrest nights had been eight.
So while significant applause should be given to the excellent reporters who covered the explosion, the sports reporters have really bought into something new here at the Missourian and are doing something cool with it.

1 comment:

Tom Warhover said...

Absolutely! I didn't know about the 11 story count -- terrific. Especially considering how quickly we've ramped this thing up.