Friday, March 7, 2008

Revelations

This week was full of revelations.

First the class met with the editors concerning the shells. I think it was good idea for the reporters to meet and discuss the project and progress we’ve made so far. There was a lot of feed back concerning what the different groups have been working on and what direction they are taking for the future. It definitely helped to discuss our ideas because they sound different being dissected in a room of our peers than they do during a quick group meeting – they can be looked at more objectively.

Personally, the growth group realized that we were taking our topic in too many directions. I think everybody in the group had great suggestions, but accomplishing all of our ideas isn’t realistic. We all learned that we really need to hone in on a focus and make our project more detailed than general.

I like the fact that we are focusing more on the people because I really want this site to be relevant and useful to those who come in. I think focusing on aspects that affect people allows this shell to be a resource for the community more than a class project.

The second realization I had was about the reporting aspect of the class.

I realize I need to pay more attention to my work. I am so used to being able to get something together in a relatively short time, but that strategy hasn’t been so successful lately. Additionally, it is hard to focus because it seems like so many things are demanding my attention right now; but somebody had to do it before me, so I can do it.

I had the opportunity to turn a story this week, but instead I got a lesson on what not to do: I shouldn’t assume the story can be turned quickly, I should get back to accuracy checking stories and I need to spend more time on my writing.

No comments: