Friday, April 4, 2008

Jobs. Stories. Green stuff.

Yesterday something really important happened, for a lot of reasons, and I don't know how it's going to turn out. It was my last day working at MC Sports, which means that I have one more paycheck coming from them but also more time to spend at school. It's getting really hard to figure out how to pay rent and spend as much time on projects as I would like to, and quitting one of my jobs probably won't help, but at least my grades will be better (right?). I guess I will find out if this was a stupid move or not.

On a lighter note, I spent a lot of last week and part of this week working on today's Second Front story, the profile of Mark Buhrmester. I've received a lot of compliments, which is reassuring. I was a little worried that the story didn't seem objective - I had never spoken to Mark before the story, but it's hard to write a profile about someone who's doing something cool without sounding... fawning, I guess. I don't know. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

And now I'm working on Green things and in the market for story ideas to keep working for public life. Big projects are a must. I think I've accomplished my original goal of being able to turn stories quickly (this was set at the beginning of the semester. I'm horribly slow at reporting sometimes. Who am I kidding? Almost all of the time.) So it's time to move on to something that takes some research.

Also, I just would like to say that the work produced by the members of this class this semester has been absolutely phenomenal. Every time I read any of your stuff, I feel privileged to be among such fantastic reporters.

1 comment:

Kate Schuman said...

Yesssss. I so agree Rebekah, on a lot of things you said.
The profile thing especially. When someone is doing something cool and you only have a short time, it's hard to do something completely objective.
Also, I'm glad someone else is getting intoxicated with how great our class is. We have plenty to learn, I know, but it's nice to take a minute, look around and appreciate.