Friday, April 18, 2008

So FB is real!!

This Missouri Civil Rights Initiative issue has really picked up. I first learned about it several weeks ago during a casual conversation with a friend. She told me that it would affect the scholarships of minorities and being on the higher education beat, I thought this would be something worth writing about.
The friend who I spoke of is over a FB group called Vote No for MoCRI (or something like that), and she invited me to the group to find out more information. I told her from the beginning I was interested in covering it for the Missourian. The group takes you directly to the MoCRI site and there was my first introduction to it.
Several weeks and several stories later, it was brought to my attention that I was still a part of the group. I thought nothing of it because I learn of all the campus events pertaining to this issue by being a a part of the group. (If you join a group you automatically get the e-mails and event messages sent out by that group.)
However, it slipped my mind that that the MoCRI group I joined said "vote no" in the title. It also slipped my mind that someone would actually be monitoring my actions as a journalist... on FACEBOOK!! (I know we talk about it in class, but seriously.)
FB is not even real to me; however, I definitely see how as a journalist it could cause a problem. So I am happy I am learning this lesson now, rather than later. Nonetheless, I can't say I didn't feel important that people are checking up on my activities in that manner. I must be doing a pretty good job. or making somebody upset... same thing.

No comments: