Monday, April 21, 2008

:/

I called the superintendent and asked her if the rumors were true, that she was looking for another job.

I wrote about the ramifications of Columbia not passing a tax levy, and what could happen next.

And then I sat down, to blog about it on the SchoolHouse Talk blog, and...

Had nothing. There was nothing new to add to the issue.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just retelling the same story. Others, I have a weird postpartum depression about the tax levy election. Both are a sign that it's all done and over with. It is TIME TO MOVE ON. But wait, this very petulant part of me says, there was so much I wanted to do while it was happening that I never did.

And that stupid (it is stupid) fixation on the so-called good ideas I never executed is all ego.

I'm reading a book of essays on writing, and one of the author's main points is to take ego out. Don't get attached to what you think is eloquent, cleverly worded, or beautiful prose.
More generally, don't get attached to small things because you think you did them well — you'll miss the bigger THING.

That's my lesson for the week. My to-do list, really.

PROGRESS REPORT:
I'm learning to write about people. It happened two weeks ago, last week, and lo and behold, my next assignment is to talk to people. I'm excited as a student and reporter.

Conundrum:

Last week, I turned in an Econometrics (the economics major equivalent of Advanced Reporting) homework set that I did not finish. I tried — I kept working on it up until the 11 a.m. Wednesday class...

I have never, in the history of my college career, turned in something unfinished. It was disrespectful to my professor and embarrassing.

I have written explanation letters before:
"Dear Prof. So and so, I am writing to explain, not excuse, my absence on Month, Day. I had to write about Something."

The UnfinishedHomework was the result of staying the entirety of Tuesday at the Missourian working on an article. It has me thinking: on the one hand, I'm here to stretch myself, prove that I can fit 40 hours into a day, perform under pressure, find bravery in the eleventh hour. On the other, I'm here to pursue my passions. Yes, one of those is economics.

I'm not sure which is worse: doing B-work in this class and others, or getting an A in this class and not a B in its economics equivalent.
Or, getting an A in economics, an A in the beat reporting component and a non-A in the shell component of this class.
I guess it comes down to which way I want to prioritize: selfishly or not.

No comments: