Saturday, April 26, 2008

Passionate about passionate people

I walked into the newsroom yesterday carrying a few little pieces of woody grass, Big Blue Indian grass to be specific. I had just returned from a trip to MU's Bradford Farm. The farm's superintendent and a bioenergy engineer showed me what they've been working on and I've been talking about.

I didn't anticipate the passionate dialogue that ensued. I'd ask a question and they'd both have an answer, then play off what the other said and then add something I hadn't thought to ask. I realized these two men have incredible passion for growing warm season grasses and its potential for bioenergy. They also had foresight and curiosity. I left with an adrenaline rush. I was high on reporting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am passionate about passionate people. Passion is an emotion that rubs off on those around you. It shines through your eyes, fingertips and body language. It livens up the body. It excites the brain. When you take a genuine interest in someone's passions, it shows. It's the highest compliment you can give someone. I got the feeling these two men could talk about warm season grasses and farming for hours. I could listen for hours. Their passion was intoxicating.

People ask me where I've been this semester. I've been at the Missourian, I say. The scripted and typical response is "I've heard that really takes up a lot of your time and that a lot of people don't like it. Do you like it?" In some variation that's always the question and I feel like people expect a negative response. They want me to tell them I hate it. But I like it. Yes, it's stressful and it takes up a lot of time. But really, what else would I be doing? Where else would I be? Probably whining to a friend over coffee about how I yearn to be reporting.

No comments: