Thursday, February 28, 2008

And So It Begins

I knew heading in to this semester that I might not escape with my sanity. School and three days a week at Applebees is challenge enough, but throw in the fact that the baseball plays three games a day in the month of March (only a mild exaggeration, really), and I will likely be "working" 70 hours a week. Disgusting, huh? The fact that some of those hours will be spent watching baseball provides me my only solace.

Anyway, enough whining. I actually wrote a story this week (as well as four recaps) about the baseball team, and it has gotten me fairly excited. One of my biggest problems has always been just getting started, and now that that is out of the way, I think I can get some good work done here. The problem, of course, will be getting my schedule to mesh with the equally busy schedule of the baseball players so that I can pump out some features. I am hopeful, at least.

As far as how the shells are going, the biggest problem seems to be getting teamwork out of a group that, between all its members, has about five minutes a week to spare. I think our direction is good, and I think we have the opportunity to put together a really solid product, it may all come down to how well we can all come together.

Progress Report
-------------
I'm just now getting in to the swing of my beat, so it's hard to announce progress, but I do think my team is coming along on the public safety shell. We have a million ideas, we just need to sort them out, condense, and get cracking. The vision that some of my teammates possess astounds me, and I look forward to drawing off of the way they think.

As far as the article I wrote, I think it was a pretty good one, but I hope to do things far differently the rest of the season. I'd like to pump out as many interesting player/coach profiles as I can, and I think I can do it, provided some access. But we're working on that...

No comments: