Thursday, February 14, 2008

Election? What Election?

Seems as though everyone contributing to this blog has been nothing short of entranced by the election this past week...and there is no shame in this. Fortunately for me, I've been busy as I can be this week with school, the newspaper, working my butt off at Applebee's and trying to extract all the fun I can out of my last collegiate semester. Needless to say, I've paid little to no attention to what is going on, which is in stark contrast to all the energy I spent following it in every week prior.

In tagging along with some of the other sentiments here, however, I guess I just have one question:

Would the United States be better off if people had no idea who the candidates were or what they looked like, and simply filled out one of those candidate match things, than they currently are with the media portraying them and trying to show the public a picture of them?

Just based on ideas, past voting history and experience, are Hillary, Barack and McCain really the best candidates out there?

And is it journalism's role to show which candidates are best, or is it merely our job to write stories about them that may or may not let people decide?


I don't know the answer. But it's been bugging me. What if Mitt Romney wasn't pegged as a robotic mormon? What if Hillary's last name was Smith? What if Barack was white? What if Dennis Kucinich didn't kind of look like a mouse? Are they there right now? And how much are we, the media, responsible for this?



Progress Report
--------------

Finally getting into my beat this week...attended the MU baseball fundraising dinner on Saturday for a little background, and media day is tomorrow. Otherwise, I've just been working on these shells...and trying to pay my bills. I should have loads more to report next week. Or at least I hope.

No comments: