Friday, February 15, 2008

Smaller Shells of Our Former Selves?

I'm definitely ready to get going with the shells project — I think it will be an exciting endeavor for us to take on, whether it ultimately be successful or a moderate failure. The fact that we're allowed to encounter this experience in the first place is a great opportunity to fully dig in to the idea of developing a story package for the Internet, which, for me, is one of my weakest areas in reporting, for sure. 

However, as I'm in the environment shell, we got a fairly clear idea of what's ahead of us based on our discussion in class Tuesday. Our group will meet Sunday to more fully flesh out our idea, but I'm wondering if we shouldn't reduce the range of our shell to create a more manageable project. I think we came up with enough story styles and story ideas to make our whole project revolve around the energy idea. Furthermore, including archived stories that still have current relevance will take up even more space on the page. We'll see where this weekend takes us, but I think we will quickly start seeing some structure come together.

Progress: Got a couple more bits and pieces this week. I've been pressed for  time a bit recently with my work for the Newman Center Musical, but that ends tis weekend, and then I'll have about 2.5 hours more per night to work on reporting and schoolwork, etc. I have the Study Abroad story and a new tip on big problems in MU's math program to work with, for starters. Also next week I will be following Gary Forsee's first day on the job as UM System president, so we'll see what that turns up as well. 

No comments: