Friday, February 22, 2008

What a week...

This week was a little bit of a mess. It's really tough to be in the newsroom coordinating all of the convergence editors and reporters AND be working on Advanced Reporting at the same time. Monday I wasn't around much. Tuesday I worked on a story on the caucus, Wednesday the barbershop guys (who got canceled :( ) and Thursday on Five Ideas, which we didn't get to edit until today. At the same time, there have been more issues than is healthy in the convergence department - no conflicts, just lots of arrangement that has to happen. But that is why the SWAT team is there. To take care of those kinds of arrangement things. We get things done.

That said, this was my best week yet as far as the reporting side goes. My clips weren't terribly in-depth or exciting, but I got some, and that is the important thing. And I'm learning how to day-turn. Which probably sounds silly to everyone in this class, but it's not something I've had to do before. I didn't take the reporting class. My internship last summer was at a weekly online publication, and before that most of my experience has been convergence or Vox, which has the most ridiculous editorial system ever.

This week has not been without frustration, but I've made steps towards getting the hang of things. If I had to do it again, I would want to take both Advanced Reporting and my convergence capstone, but not at the same time. We'll see if I feel the same way in a couple of weeks.

No comments: