Friday, February 8, 2008

Week 3

So, this week I worked on Super Tuesday, but I also worked a lot on a story about a weird rule about backpacks. No one I need to talk to is very quick about getting back to me, so it's making a relatively simple story pretty difficult to get done. Which is worrisome because I have yet to publish a print story of my own. I wrote 5 Ideas once, did a video story, and did work on Super Tuesday but didn't have a byline. My story about backpacks is as good as done, but I don't have people not actually involved in the school district (they're hopefully calling me back soon). I'm not really sure what the expectations are, since I didn't take the first reporting class, but Scott and I sat down and talked about things, so... I'm working on it.

Meanwhile, I'm a little concerned about the web shells project. I won't be able to make the meeting on Friday because I work at 3, but honestly I am very afraid that we are biting off more than we can chew. We've got big dreams, and that's good, but we simply don't have the manpower to do a lot of the things the class has suggested. Wikis would be cool, but let's be honest - the people working on ColumbiaMissourian.com couldn't even embed the YouTube video of Governor Blunt in our webpage. I think we're going to end up planning a lot of things we aren't capable of doing if we don't take a step back and look at what is actually feasible with the people we have, the website we have and the amount of content that we will have. Web shells are a possibility and would be an asset to the Missourian, but unless people are already at work making the web shells more capable (and that is a months-long process), we're going to have to scale-down our plans, and make them for broader subjects.

1 comment:

Tom Warhover said...

I hope you'll bring up your concerns tomorrow in class. I have some answers concerning programming!