Friday, February 1, 2008

Online future

It seems to me the discussion our class is addressing is what the future of newspaper journalism is, not as much newspapers. I am for one relieved, because too often I feel like we are talking about income is shrinking for newspapers and people freaking out about where the business it going. I feel like I am a writer, let me write. It's not that I don't care about where the business is going, there seems too often to be a non-productive freak-out rather than a discussion about ways to improve.

I think shells are a niche market, which is where online sites are going. There is a continual fracturing of the market share in all forms of media, as more websites, blogs, and TV. This is something that is unavoidable, and thats why I think we need to have as many different features on our website as possible. I think having a City Council shell, for example, is something that many citizens would bookmark. We could have stories about the council, our video of recent debates and meetings, links to the council sites, and discussion forums for citizens to react. I am very excited about this project, and I think it will force some of us (like me) to finally learn some of the online technology and convergence tools.

No comments: