Friday, February 8, 2008

Election frustration

The reason I majored in journalism is because I wanted to be involved in the political process, but the problem I am having with this election is I am not allowed to report anything to do with the presidential candidates. I worked for Obama's campaign over the summer, and I had a great time, but because of that I am not allowed to work on stories about the candidates.

I enjoyed my job with the Obama campaign and think I made a difference, but at the same time I think it compromises my ability to become a political reporter. The biggest story in the world for the next 9 months will be this, and I can't write a word about it as a journalist. There are also other things I had not thought about before taking the job, like if Obama were to win the presidency, would any story about him be off-limits for me for the next 4-8 years?

It is a frustrating situation for me, because this story is something that I live for, and I know a lot about it, but there is nothing I can do. I've taken some solace in the fact that I have been able to help some of the other reporters at the Missourian on the story with background info and possible source, but it isn't how I imagined reporting on politics would be.

I think in a way politics can be a bit like writing about sports, because to really care about an election or sport, you probably have to have a rooting interest. At the same time, this changes the way you view it, and may make you less objective and useful to the readers. It is a catch-22 that I am having a hard time resolving in my head, and it is hard to sit on the sidelines for something this big.

1 comment:

Tom Warhover said...

Your analogy to sports is apt. Talk to any sports reporter and she'll tell you that you can't be a fan and be a reporter -- you have to do one or the other. It's an irony: most sports reporters got into it because they love the sport they wanted to cover.
That said, I don't think a summer in the Obama camp disqualifies you from covering him for the next eight years. This election? Yes. His years in the White House? I don't think it's a "forever" ban.