Friday, February 29, 2008

Progress

I had my editor review meeting thingy with Scott this week, We had a nice chat, which I later felt bad about because it didn't feel like I got anything done with this Nader story. Theoretically there are still supporters in Columbia. None of them want to return my calls, though. I did get to talk to two political science professors, both of which said that Nader would be mostly irrelevant in this year's presidential election. I'm shocked. Shocked!

I'm pleased to report that the very large video project we are doing for the upcoming school board and city council elections is coming along very nicely. We have almost all of the candidates assigned to reporters, and everyone who is a little shaky or just feels that way will have a convergence editor go along with them to help out, but mostly be there to answer questions. Hopefully this will be a great way for more people to be comfortable with the video camera. When I interviewed with Gannett a couple of weeks ago, the news director from the Springfield paper definitely stressed how important doing video was, and how they were teaching everyone in the newsroom to do multimedia work.

Our web shell meeting today went pretty well. The other members in my group came up with a pretty good idea for posting story ideas in certain categories and listing them and sources on Blackboard in time for next Wednesday's class. I am a little worried about splitting my time between Public Life and the shell... I guess we'll find out Wednesday how that's going to go.

No comments: