Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Last Weeks Blog (The Tuesday Edition)

This past week was a good week of reporting. I got the League of Women Voter’s story finished by Friday, but I think I struggled through this article too much. I overemphasized the writing aspect of the story, when I should have been focusing on the reporting aspect of the story. This was a news piece, and I wanted to infuse verbose description of characters that I thought were interesting. This might be acceptable if I was writing a lifestyle piece about Bertrice Bartlett, but it was not.

What is interesting is that about a year ago I would have felt shy in my writing. To infuse description of characters based on my own words, without relying on video or a quote was so intimidating. Now it is slightly addictive, even would I should simply be reporting. I think this is part of learning balance in my writing and recognizing what type of writing is appropriate for each environment.

Lastly my group needs to get back together for another Shells project meeeting. We didn’t have a meeting last week, so this is something that is definitely on my radar for this week.

No comments: